Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Task Manager, What's Hot and What's Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffo

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
GB
I just wanted to make sure that the processes I have running in my Windows Task manager are what i need or what I don't need, my computer is running very slow at the moment so just want to make sure that there aren't any useless processes running. On average I have about 29 processes running with a commit charge of about 150M/924M.
The processes are as follows:

hphipm08.exe
tbctray.exe
dslagent.exe
gsicon.exe
directcd.exe
DellMMkb.exe
hpztsb01.exe
hpha2mon.exe
Studio.exe
nvsvc32.exe
Nhksrv.exe
spoolsv.exe
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe Do I need 4 of these?
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
crss.exe
smss.exe
OSD.exe
System
System Idle Process

Thanks

I have been on the blkviper website so please do not refer me to that as it does not list all my processes. Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

The 2nd one running will drag you down a lot.
svchost is from rundll32...and can be in there that many times...

I should have said "svchost is LIKE rundll32...(except, run as a service)"

How fast is your machine? And so forth.
XP uses a lot of processes. I usually have 38-42 running.
Have you defragged, et cetera?
As a last choice, reinstall, or repair.
Tom Trevathan

My machine is a 1.8GHz, so no problems is the speed department, I have defragged. Reinstall is not an option, what do you mean by repair? Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back