Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Task Manager "Switch To" not switching to

Status
Not open for further replies.

blpcrs

Programmer
Aug 25, 2011
US
Hi all, Having a little issue with Windows Task Manager.
Generally, we have automated scripts that will open Windows Task Manager, Find the Application it's looking for, then Click "Switch To" to make that application the active window.

However, in some/many cases, with multiple windows open, it will NOT switch to that window. (in this case, a cmd window, a notepad, and file explorer open) It seems that it happens most in XP, but sometimes in W7. So, if File explorer is the Active Window, and you go to TM, Applications, select cmd, and then "switch to", the TM goes away, and the File explorer is still the active window. (mix and match applications, it will not make the switch to window the active window.

When the problem occurs, it always occurs. (Note that these machines do have VNC and Radmin installed on them, however, when i disconnected them both and used console, same problem occurs.

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening and how I can rectify it? Many thanks in advance!!!

So are you having the issue when you manually carry out the tasks or only with the script(s)? It's possible the issue could be more directly to do with the script / scripting language than with task manager itself. So in that regard, it may be best to ask the question in the forum for the particular scripting language.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

I wish it were, unfortunately, I can replicate the issue directly using manual steps as well. Seems like something hijack the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back