Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Task Manager-Performance-CPU Usage showing 100% - very oten

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviccie

Technical User
Aug 4, 2002
US
Hi folks, when i open the CPU utilization tab from the performance tab of the windows-task-manager, i see that the cpu usage is contantly going to 100%. It is almost like a wave.... up and down and up and down....
PS: this is when, i am not running any major programs/applications,

isn't this unusual... any suggestions or solutions...

also, and when i saw the processes i see a process by name "Winkoru.exe" eating up a lot of memory and sometimes if i open a IR browser, there are a couple or more processess that show up in the tab and who seems to be also eating up a lot of memory...

bottom line is ...my laptop performance is not ok now...

This is normal, nothing to be concerned about. I had a good link on it to explain it, but it is completely normal.

wow!!!cpu usage showing 100% utilization... is normal... even if i am not running any major/applications...

what is the explanation... what url link are u talkng about...do you still have it.. send me or post it here..

so..what would u suggest me to improve the performanc of the pc and the internet access...

thanks

ravi

no of course it's not normal ...
try when u see the utilization becomes 100% to close the software which u mentioned ( Winkoru.exe ) and see the results .. Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Sorry, I was thinking you were talking about your system idle process being high, which case is normal. If you cpu % is at 100 for a long period of time well there could be many reasons for this. Depending on the type of computer and the applications you are running. There are lots of little things you can do to improve performance such as a disk cleanup and defragmenting it. I would need some more info as to what your setup is and I am assuming you are using windows 2000. Do you have any firewalls or antivirus scanners?? give some more detail please and I'll sober up and see what I can come up with. :eek:)

have a great new year everyone...see ya in 2k3

Hi Froggy!!
happy new year to u too! and don't drink too much fella!!

i have pentium-iii toshiba tecra laptop and windows-2000 OS and you are suggesting... the disk cleanup and defragmenting it..i have done it shortly.....but if that is gong to help...i will do that again...

i have this pc in a home-based network
and yes, recently i installed the seagate's antivirus or scanning software...which is on 30-day trial. Now i am not sure if this coincidence...ever since i started that seagate firewall... i have been going down.. ever since...

anyway, hope this helps to make u understand the situation and offer me some more help....

*Ravi

success is not an end point..but the journey..so make every moment of the life happy and successful...by doing what you like to do..

raviccie;

You have a variant of the KLEZ virus. It always starts with "wink" then 2 or 3 random characters and .exe There is a fix on the Symantec web site.

Ed Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

Hey there well what a night that was last night, woah a real pisser. Well anyway ya I would run a virus scan to see whats going on there cause you never know....also your firewall is a cpu hog so ya it will slow things down. Not much you can do there when you are using a software firewall. If I had to guess its more then likely a virus so I would do that first and let us know how it goes.

100% Usage Problem

The Toshiba TECRA 8200s are prone for this problem.

FIX: Update the BIOS from Toshiba's site.

-pb-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back