Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows - Startup Programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterguy

Technical User
May 14, 2001
CA
Good Day,

I'm trying to speed up the startup process on my computer (PII-450). I'm running Win 98. When I look at the task manager after the computer has booted I see a list of about 15 programs that have been loaded. Which of these programs are the essential ones and which ones are extra fluff that I really don't need ?? And how does one prevent the loading of these unwanted programs at startup ?

I recall a similar question like this that I thought was on this forum, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

John

Every Computer is different. Some Brand Names have essential startups. Here's a great link. Go down to the alphabet down near the bottom of the page and choose the first letter of the program in question. You'll more than likely be able to find any progam listed there, its description and whether or not it's necessary to have it load at start-up.

That's it ! Thanks Mosaic1.

I've been to the website you mentioned before but didn't have the link. It's exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Here are tweaks for the msdos.sys file:

How to Edit the Msdos.sys File
If you want to change any of the values in the Msdos.sys file, follow these steps to edit the file:

Click Start, point to Find, then click Files Or Folders.

In the Named box, type "msdos.sys" (without quotation marks). In the Look In box, click your boot drive (usually drive C, or drive H if drive C is compressed). Click the Find Now button.

Right-click the Msdos.sys file and then click Properties.

Click the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to clear them to remove these attributes from the Msdos.sys file, and then click OK.

Right-click the Msdos.sys file and then click Open With.

In the "Choose the program you want to use" box, click Notepad and then click OK.

Make the changes below to the Msdos.sys file. When you are done, save the file as a text document, and then quit Notepad.

Make these changes under [Options]:
Dblspace=0
Drvspace=0
Logo=0

Right-click the Msdos.sys file, and then click Properties.

Click the Read-Only and Hidden check boxes to select them to set these attributes for the file, and then click OK. Close the Find window.

Quit and then restart Windows.

You can also try this:
BootMenuDelay=<Number>

Default: 30

Purpose: This setting is used to set the number of seconds your system will pause on the Startup menu. If the number of seconds counts down to 0 without intervention, the BootMenuDefault is activated.

NOTE: This option is not functional unless BootMenu=1 has been added to
the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file.
----------------------------------------------
Change the number to something like 3.

reghakr

You may try this nifty freeware that seems to satisfy your requirement.. Personally , I find it quite useful at times..

Good luck,

======================================================

StartStop Version: 1.0

----------

D/L URL : (
Requirements: NT/95/98, <200 Kb disk space

Introduction
------------

StartStop is a utility to help manage programs that start each time you start
your computer. StartStop allows you to choose which programs will run and which
will not.

A help file is provided with further information.

in windows 98 there is a program &quot; msconfig&quot;
run it and in the startup tab,u can choose which programs to run and which to stop
good luck i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

With the help of the websites provided above describing the programs being loaded, adn msconfig, I have been able to speed up the computer considerably on boot-up and shut down. Actually, I was quite amazed how quickly the machine is booting up once I turned all the extraneous junk off. Thank-you everybody for your thoughts on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back