Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows startup and CD sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove programs so they don't start up and sit it the bar next to the clock. Realplayer is a typical example.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way of routing sound so you can listen to it through the earphones that plug into your CD rather than your sound card.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Let's start with your 2nd question first...you can do one of two things, you could physically disconnect the lead from the back of the cd-rom to the sound card, but by doing that, you would have to reconnect it if at some point you wanted to listen to music cd's through your speakers. Or, you could simply plug in headphones to the jack at the front of the cd (I assume it has one, as not all do) and either mute the sound to the speakers, turn the off, or unplug them from the card...

As for the first question, what OS are you running? WIN95/98/ME you can run MSCONFIG (start->run->type msconfig) and simply go through the tabs for startup, sytem.ini and win.ini and look for those that refer to the programs you don't want to start when windows starts. To be on the safe side though, the best thing to do is when windows starts and is ready for use, press ctrl-alt-del, and write down which programs are currently running (there'll be a list) then post it here so either I or someone else can tell you which ones are unnecessary. (There are some that Windows NEEDS to function correctly, and if the wrong checkmark is removed, windows may not start)

California Kid B-)

Steve,

California Kid is right, but there are some that you'll need to right-click on the icons in the tray and go through the options of the program looking for a way to turn off the "tray" or "run at startup" feature.

RealPlayer...You need to go to View>Settings, click the Settings button and uncheck Enable Start Center.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back