Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Start button

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannonenter

Programmer
Mar 27, 2003
GB
Is there any way i can stop the user from bringing up the Windows start menu when i have set the visible property to false.

I do not want the user from being able to access any of the file listing, available computer programmes and basicly anything until they have entered a password.

Many thanks

Stephen Rattray

Cannon Enterprises

Why don't you get them to log into windows first??

Are you using windows 95 or 98 or something?

What you are specking of is possible and is pretty simple but there are so many ways around it - so it is pointless

what you need is a computer with either windows 2000/XP
with a harddrive formated to NTFS << (NTFS Very Important - if yours is FAT32 or any of the other fat formats this will not work)

after you have this go to the Windows XP Section and ask about setting file Permissons
(*NOTE: In XP Home Edition the only way to set permissions is in safe mode/ in XP Pro you don't need to be in safe mode to set permissions)

%, 2004

You can disable the start button itself by using Hidestart routine, but this only stops the user from using the start button with a mouse, if they use the windows start key of their keyboards they will get access as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back