Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows sluggish after installing Norton Professional version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancepsGuerrero

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
Since I installed the Pro version of Norton virus/utilities my browser seems slower--sluggish, really, and it takes longer to open an email too--I click on it and it's sort of a delayed reaction till I see the text. And when I click reply, I'm already writing before the box appears. Also it seems to me that the computer is running more than usual, when it shouldn't be. (Hope this is clear, it's hard to explain so it makes sense, but this forum has solved all my problems so well to date that I'm hoping you can figure this one out too.) Before installing the new version I did uninstall the old one just as they tell you to do,(and rebooted) and unplugged the modem while I did it to prevent a sneak attack from any evil creatures waiting to pounce. Once it was installed I renewed the Firewall sub, no problem there. After completing the whole thing and rebooting I did a virus scan, then ran utilities, and in the registry scan 2 errors showed up, which it fixed (or so it said). However those 2 errors keep showing up the next day, so I'm wondering if they're related to the background activity (unless of course there really is a demon in my hard drive). How do I find out what those errors are and fix them for good? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Oh, it's crashed a couple of times too, but only when I'm shutting down--the blue screen comes up instead of Windows is shutting down, then I reboot and shut down again and it shuts down normally!
Hope I've included all relevant info...and many thanks in advance, you all are the best...[2thumbsup]

About the only thing I could suggest is to do a ctrl + alt + del and close Norton down completley then uninstall and reinstall it. Or contact Symantec's techs on their free tech help board. They may have a solution. It takes a few steps to get there like going through their knowledge base but eventually you'll see the links. They make it a real pain in the a** to get to their tech board!

Try to set your AntiVirus prefs not so hard. Had the same problem with older Norton. Set it only to check certain files like jpg exe bat com etc. In other words, lower nortons enthusiasm of finding a virus. Update your IE and download critical updates for WIndows. Try to free some memory by stopping programs at startup.

I never leave a program to do anything automatically. When you install Norton, and elect to keep everything running on autopilot it takes up a lot of resouces, especially the antivirus program (if you letting it automatically scan your email, this is why things are so slow). Try setting the antivirus program to manual everything, and just do a scan regularly. Then check the other parts of Norton Utilities to see that nothing else is running in the background. (pressing control/alt/delete will show you what's running). I had the same problem that you are experiencing when I first installed Norton...once I took control of what runs when, everything went back to where it was before the install.
If you need more help let us know.
The problem you are having that keeps reoccuring can be solved better if you run windoctor and write down what it reports. Get back to us on this part too.
hope this helps...

Yes i agree on that, i do not let my pc-cillin run in the back ground, just use it for only scaning the incoming mail, i turn the web filters off, web trap off

You guys are awesome, once again you figured it out and speeds are back to normal since I adjusted the settings. I do always check for new patches for IE, so that's up to date, however now they're pushing IE 6.0, so my next question will be is it better than 5.5 or does it have even more holes? [evil]
Anyway, thanks again, you're the BEST!!![2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back