Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Shares to SAN lost in high volume use

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggies1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2009
GB
Hi folks,

Occasionally during periods of high usage the windows 2003 shares to our san stop working.

the result is that the
-user loses connection
-user gets error message "not accessible - admin rights required"
-mapped drives cant re-connect or
-user gets a blank window when opening the share with no files present.

This is very disruptive to our business however we have been unable to gleem any informatoin fron our SAN logs or windows events logs.

we have tested high SAN usage without using the windows shares by copying data from server to server however this did not fail.

It leads us to think there are issues pertaining to the nature of windows shares and san's.

I'd be interested in any insight others may have or suggestions of what we could try.

Thanks in advance.

the only possible message thats occurs in approx correlation with the issue is in event viewer:

Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
not an error message but does seem to occur roughly around when users lose network share access.

There is a registry key that controls the amount of resources to server service but for the life of me I can't recall what the name of it is.

Have seem similar behavior to this on very large san connected file servers that have a mixture of a lot of lun mounts, antivirus and sms chewing up the threads.

This is fairly rare so not sure if its your issue or not and from memory there is usually a yellow alert that indicates the issue.

IRPStackSize is the parameter in lanmanserver.

There is a lot of info around this via google, worth a try to see if it fixes your issue

What type of server/HBA do you have connecting to your SAN. I used to have issues with Sun AMD servers running Windows 2003 that would randomly lose SAN connectivity for no apparent reason. Traced it down to a motherboard resource issue that required a patch from AMD in order to resolve.

Using a fibrecat fujitsu sx80 san with HBA Brocade controllers and a Brocade switch.

The file sharing server exists on a VMware host.
The shares to the SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back