Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Share Name on Windows 2008 R2 server doesn't work, works with other name

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod602

Technical User
May 16, 2011
US
This one has be scratching my head. Any assistance would be awesomely appreciated.

When I create a share with the name 'Administration' and try accessing the share with the serving server I get an error code, the network path not found. And clients trying to connect also gets the same error. The folder I am sharing has the same name - I don't think this would be an issue as all my other shares, are configured the same way.

Here is the strangest part of all. If I create the share with a different name say 'Admin' it works and clients connecting to it also work. What in the world????

Any ideas?

yes. its a current issue in my environment. and have a work around.. i simply did another share pointing to the same folder but I need the original one to work. And I am super confused as why the original share name 'Administration' doesn't work. blah!

Rigo

Sorry goombawaho. :-(

I didn't see your post. I was in a hurry and just googled the subject, which I always do to make sure that a thread isn't cross-posted before I waste time researching the question if it has been answered elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

I believe the issues has been resolved....
turns out there was as domain-based dfs namespace that had the name administration and thus why it was choking.

Yes, we know that. If you don't get it, we're kind of teasing you...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back