Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows setup wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I recently reformatted my harddrive because of some issues that i had been having, and now when i insert the windows 98 cd, and use the boot disc from win98 to load the cdrom drivers, my cdrom is drive E: by the way. At the prompt,

E:
i type

E:\setup

and press enter.

Nothing happens. I get another prompt, but install does not begin.

Does anyone know what i may be doing wrong?
Could i be using the wrong command?

(i have also tried E:\setup.exe, run E:\setup.exe, etc)

Thanks,

If it's a OEM disk you shouldn't need the boot disk at all, If it isn't you're rom drive will change from E to F "usually". Try F if no go try D whichever one it is on you should be able to "at the prompt" type in dir/p and it will show you what is on the disk if it is the correct one. Also while checking with the dir/p read at the top to make sure that you are not looking at the ram drive instead of the install disk info. PS dir/p will also work at the C Prompt to let you see what's in there, Oh if it's a OEM disd just put it in and boot up and fill in the blanks...

The setup file is usually in the win98 folder so your command should be:

E:\win98\setup.exe

THANK YOU!

it worked.

HOWEVER

now, my western digital, 40 gig harddrive reads a s a 1.95 gig harddrive.

Does anyone know whats wrong now?

THANKS

first you said:>I recently reformatted my harddrive because of some issues that i had been having, <

then you said after installing the windows>now, my western digital, 40 gig harddrive reads a s a 1.95 gig harddrive.

Does anyone know whats wrong now?<

well there still our issues now also there so the issues could still be there giving you a problem correct.. and how did you format it that hardrive? try download maxblast plus on a floppy

and see if it partitions correctly for that hard drive. then reinstall windows and see if it changes that partition.
ace00

first you said:>I recently reformatted my harddrive because of some issues that i had been having, <

then you said after installing the windows>now, my western digital, 40 gig harddrive reads a s a 1.95 gig harddrive.

well there still our issues now also there so the issues could still be there giving you a problem correct.. and how did you format it that hardrive? try download maxblast plus on a floppy

and see if it partitions correctly for that hard drive. then reinstall windows and see if it changes that partition.
aces00

aces00

aces00

so this will repartition it to a full 40 gig?

here's the story,

when i first got it, and was formatting it and all, the first volume i got was 36 gigs, i tried to change it, but to no avail, so i stuck with 36 gigs. then when windows crashed again, and no programs would work, i reformatted it again, BUT found when i had reinstalled windows, that the harddrive identified itself as a 1.95 gig harddrive.

My question is, will maxblast reformat the harddrive to its actual specifications, or to just the 1.95 gigs like a normal partioning/reformat program?

as long as you have formatted, do you want to think about partitioning off the first 2G for Windows and then put your data on later drives?

The next time windows crashes data is saved on the other partitions and format takes less time :).

You know, FDisk, PartitionMagic, ...

>so this will repartition it to a full 40 gig?<

well maxblast hasn't fail me yet i partition and formated all brans and types of harddrives it works perfectly and just follow the directions as it runs it doesnt have to be a maxtor either.

>here's the story,

when i first got it, and was formatting it and all, the first volume i got was 36 gigs, i tried to change it, but to no avail, so i stuck with 36 gigs.<

sometimes thats about all you get out of a 40 gig.

>then when windows crashed again,<

why is it crashing so much? do you have a motherboard problem a grounding out to the fram maybem ? there may be other things causeing that random crashing.

> and no programs would work, i reformatted it again, BUT found when i had reinstalled windows, that the harddrive identified itself as a 1.95 gig harddrive.

My question is, will maxblast reformat the harddrive to its actual specifications, or to just the 1.95 gigs like a normal partioning/reformat program?<

yes it works great but if your windows crashes again, you have some big issues with hardware..

better yet go to your harddrive website here

then download the Diagnostic
dlgdiag.zip
October, 2001
(192 KB) there, it will tell you if your hardrive is toast.. and why it is only reading 36 gigs..maybe it has bad sectors that test will tell you that.

ok i checked it, and i dont have any bad sectors, i apologize for dragging this out, but i really dont want to screw this up (again)

so i put in the disc with maxblast on it in, restart, and it will let me make a partition of 2 gigs, and a partition of at least 34? (36 total) All i have to do is tell the program what i want to partions to be? or does the program automatically select the largest format possible, leaving me to determine the second partition?

Thanks

you can choose automatic its recomended, and it will set up it normally or choose more then one or size its up to you as it checks you harddrive it will ask you if you want to fat 16 or 32, choose no thats fat 32 then it will tell are you shure you want to format and lose all thats on that harddrive type yes, then it will say remove maxblast disk and place your system start up disk it it should be a floopy too, then after that it will find you e: drive and ask if you want to in stall with a cd rom support choose yes, then the E: drive letter will appear the type your setup.exe in it that should get you on your way.

THANK YOU!

i am going to try it.

if it works ill reply by the end of the day, thanks!

It worked, thanks all!

--steve frese
&quot;113198402&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back