Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Service Setup guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoTerps88

Programmer
Apr 30, 2007
US
I have created a windows service and associated setup project. This installs fine. I would like to add to the installation a Windows form which handles updating configuration settings in the app.config file of the service. The service uses these configuration settings to determine what interval to run the service, etc.

Should I create a separate Windows Forms project and include it in the service project, or should I create a Windows form project outside of the Windows service project? I'm assuming I would create a separate Windows Forms project, because you'd need the executable to run the form.

How would I go about installing this? I want to be able to create one setup installation that would install the service as well as the Windows form project. Do I create a merge module?

Additionally, I want to create an event log source on the target server if it hasn't already been created. This needs to be created during the installation as well. How would I go about this?

Thanks

I created a separate Windows forms project within the solution, then added the project output of both the service and windows projects to the Setup project. That seems to solve installing the form with the project.

It looks like I've completed solved this problem. I added a method to the ProjectInstaller class to create the event log source. Then I call that method in the default constructor after InitializeComponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back