Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server Std 2003 Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumphJohn

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
SE
I am trying to install an instance of Windows Server Std. 2003. The server is new and I have had 2000 Server up and running on it...no problems there. However I am tryiny to install a clean copy of 2k3 on the server and it won't get through the whole install process without totally freezing. It gets the files copied and restarts to the Windows install interface...works installing the hardware and then with 34min left it totally freezes(we even left it in that state for 4hrs to see if it would get through, but it didn't). No error messages come up. We have also restarted the machine and it comes back to the same place and freezes. At first we thought it may be a bad cd, had it replaced and have same problem. Also checked to make sure the cd-reader is functioning properly. All of the hardware is/should be compatible. Intel motherboard, processors, RAID controller, and rack mounted server. I am at a loss...

I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

John

John,

I would try using PartitionMagic (or something similar), and clean formatting your drives with NTFS, and then attempt another install.

--RHYNO

Hmm check your hardware at Microsoft size, maybe something incompatible with .Net

i had that problem with my install it was a conflict with
nic card& sound card.check irq's & dma's

maybe is the problem with Raid ,take care F6 key in the installtion

Does it freeze at the same spot each time? If so, maybe try another CD or copy the cd to a blank. It may be scratched or something.

Just a thought...

Hey!

I had the similar problem. It was a problem with motherboard's additional HD controller. I pressed F6 at the beginning of the setup and installed drivers. Well.. when it began to Install devices it asked me if I want to install drivers for that controller (they weren't signed). Whenever I selected YES it completely froze after few minutes - always at the same point, but if I selected "Don't install" win2k3 installed without problems. Later when I got into desktop I just installed missing controller drivers and everyhing was fine.

Gregor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back