Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2008 and Exchange Server 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanMortimer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2008
Do these two mix, or do I have no choice but to use Exchange Server 2010 with Windows Server 2008?

We are currently using Windows Server 2003 with Exchange Server 2003 installed on the one machine, for a new site we are hoping to move Exchange to a separate server from the domain controller server, but from what I'm reading Exchange Server 2007 won't work with Server 2008.

We have a couple of Dell SC1425s which have Intel 64-bit processors in, so in order to make use of more RAM and generally move with the times we want to go to 64-bit versions of Server.

What would be our best 64-bit option for this hardware? Advice appreciated!

Exchange 2007 and Server 2008 co-exist with no problems what so ever. 64 bit is a requirement for Exchange 2007. It cannot run on a x86 platform. So i would do Server 2008 64 bit running Exchange 2007. Do you plan on migrating your existing Exchange 2003 box to Exchange 2007 or is this a new install???

Network+ Inet+ MCP

Thank you for your reply. It would be nice if we could migrate existing Exchange accounts to the new server, we won't be installing over the top of the existing 2003 server.

Actually, you cannot install over the top, you have to migrate anyway

No you can't install over the top of the existing Exchange server. Here is link with a migration document. It is sbs2003 to 2008 migration guide but you read the migration of Exchange in this guide and gain a lot from it. It tells you exactly how to move mailbox's and public folder stores as well removing your 2003 server from the domain.
Network+ Inet+ MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back