Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 will not allow network computers to access program via internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipudude

Technical User
Aug 9, 2005
US
I have what I believe is a Windows Server setting problem. I have 12 computers on a network running Windows Server 2003. The client computers are running Windows XP or Windows 7. The server has no software firewall, but does have a hardware firewall. I am trying to access a Nexis Lexis Concordance litigation site via the internet. The ports required for access are all open in the hardware firewall. All the network computers can ping the nexis lexis internet ip address and can get to the site, but when they try to login to the site using a user name and password, internet explorer hangs and they have to cntrl-alt-del to close internet explorer. I've contacted nexis lexis and they say there is a setting on the server that is stopping the ability to login and that they will not troubleshoot because it is a network problem. The version of Internet Explorer is correct for the nexis lexis site I'm told. I don't know enough about the intricacies of Windows Server 2003 to be able to fathom a guess as to where I should start to look. All the computers can access the nexis lexis site from outside the network, it's just when they are connected to the network that they cannot access the site. The firewalls are turned off on the client computers when they are trying to access the site also.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Need more information about your network configuration. Hardware firewalls keep things from coming, not usually from going out, but what do you have and how are things arranged.

Does your internet for the computers flow through the Windows 2003 server? Try changing the DNS and gateway settings on one computer to JUST use your router for internet (192.168.X.1 likely for both settings) and some different DNS servers. Then you can tell if the problem is upstream of your server at the router.

I would start by checking the traffic logs on the hardware firewall. Any decent firewall would have a web front end for configuration and also logging. See if any connections to that site from an internal test pc are being blocked.

John

I'll try both of your suggestions and let you know if there are any new problems. Thank you for your involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back