Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 User Accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valendil

Technical User
Aug 21, 2005
CA
Well I'm still new to Windows Server 2003 (and networking with Windows and Users and the such) so here I am again :).

I just got my server set up, currently as a router. Takes in the connection from my cable modem and spits it out to a switch that goes to all my other computers. All is working fine there with no problems (yet :) ). I just can't figure out this User bit though.

I want all the machines to log on using the domain, but I have no idea how to make users on the server to be allowed to do that. So far, I've had to switch my pc's to the domain and use the administrator/password account to log in, but I know that's probably the most insecure thing I could do, and that there must be a way to have users and permissions for those users to let them use a different account other then the administrator.

Any help here would be appreciated :). I'd just like to set up 3 or 4 user accounts for a few different machines so they each have their own log in for the domain and can access the network and such. Thanks :)

I am assuming that you are running Active Directory. If so from you Domain Controller launch Active Directory users and computes and create user accounts... Make sure the computers the users use to log on are members of the domain (NT workstations and above require computer accounts).

If you are not running AD - you can't creat domain accounts.

Yes, I am using AD. Simple as that, good to go now, thanks :).

By default all users should be added to the DomainUsers group. And, once joined to the domain, all PC's should have the DomainUsers group added to the LOCAL users group (granting each login with access to every machine that is joined to the domain).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back