Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 computers being backed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicInst

Programmer
Jul 5, 2010
A1
I just started administering the Windows Server 2003 computers at a company. No one knows if the servers are being backed up. There are many servers at several different locations. To rule out the native automated backup utility, is it enough to see nothing in the Report box of the Backup Utility?

I go to the Backup Utility -> Tools -> Report and see nothing in the report box. I'm assuming that if the server is being backed up, it would have to be with some non-Microsoft product. I know how to tell if Symantec or third party utilities are running.

You're in the wrong forum if you're talking about SERVER and/or BACKUP because there's a forum for each of those.

But, YES - if there are no logs on the server regarding backup and no scheduled task, it's probably not running the native NTBACKUP backup program.

Look for something like Arcserve or Backup Exec or even Acronis in the PROGRAMS list and see if they are doing anything.

If not, you have to get in gear and get something going or you'll be on the chopping block when data is lost. Think about online backup if the amount of data is not too much. External hard drives (NAS) and tape backup are also all possibilities.

You have to get in there and figure out how much data they have to back up on each server and how much the data changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back