Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 Computer Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenwave2

Technical User
Sep 7, 2006
US
Currently I have a server with Windows Server 2003r2 installed. Instead of active directory, the person who setup this server decided to use Computer Management to control, add, and delete user accounts. I am remoting to this server remotely and want to change a password for an account but it's not allowing me to use the password. What do I need to do?

This doesn't make sense. If you know the administrator password and are logged on as the administrator, you should be able to manage the users either way. It's not one or the other for life.

So from what I read you have a workgroup and not a Domain - The users are created on the local machine that will give them access to resources. What I don't understan is what you mean by not allowing you to use the password.

Do you mean the users new password? If so you need to check local policies and see what the password requirements are.

There is a computer in our remote office that no one can login to. The computer belongs to a employee that was let go. Tried re-setting the password but it no one can login. I tried creating a new account on the server but that username and password wont work either because the computer is not part of a domain. I guess I will have to re-install windows.

Totally confusing post. You said server and now you say workstation.

Tried re-setting the password but it no one can login
No doubt via password reset CD??? Since you can't login.

1. How do we know you're not trying to hack into their system?
2. Poor problem description = poor replies.

So yes, you have to either get into the machine (however you can) and join the domain or you can reload and then do same.

I'd suggest putting a new hard drive in the locked out machine, doing an OS reload and then slaving the old drive and see what might have been on there from the fired user - both for fun and for preserving anything of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back