Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Server 2003 Access is Denied mapping network drives on domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayla6

MIS
Jun 1, 2005
US
It seems as though one of my servers (Windows Server 2003) does not have appropriate access to the domain.
When I try to map a drive to the domain controller from this particular server. I get this error:
System Error 5 Has Occurred
Access is Denied
Even though I am logged in with an account that is a Domain Administrator. And I keep being prompted with a user ID and password. I enter in my user ID and password and it is like it is not being accepted. The server is a member of the domain.

I also am unable to log onto it through terminal services with a domain admin account, I can only log on through terminal services with a local admin account, however, I can log on at the console with a Domain User ID. But when I try to map to a share, I am unable to. I also keep getting messages in my logs: Event ID 1030, Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that describes the reason for this. and Event ID 1058. I looked up the event codes on MS Knowledge but it isn't helping. I have another member server that does not have the same problem. When I try to type in \\domainname\sysvol\domainname on this server, I get Access is Denied. There must be some type of rights/permission issue. This was not a problem when I first built this server several months ago. This has happened over the last month. Please help.

Some additional information. In the event log when I try to connect in through terminal services, I get the message:

Login rejected for domain_name\user_name. Unable to obtain Terminal Server User Configuration. Access is Denied.

Any help you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I believe the root of your problems are related to DNS. Verify that the TS box has your internal DNS configured on its NICs and not any ISP DNS.

If that isn't it then I would suggest removing it from the domain and re-adding it.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I have checked that the DNS is configured properly. What is strange is, everything was working for a few weeks after I built the server. These errors started in the log a few weeks after. Nothing should have changed on this server that should have caused this. It is a print server. I haven't tried removing and re-adding it to the domain. I will have to try that at a time when I can restart the server. Thanks for the reply.

This also could be that the computer accounts password has changed. So you may want to look at resetting the secure channel between the server and the DC. You have to choices disjoining and rejoining to the domain or using the netdom utility to reset the password for the computer account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back