Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Security Update CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbMark

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
Microsoft has released "Win Update 2004 English NA Feb Direct 2CD Windows Security Kit" which is Part No. B82-00170. It contains all security updates through October 2003 for Windows 98, 98se, Millennium, 2000 and XP. I did not see Windows 95 or NT on the list.

Nice that it's free and shipped free, but notice that it does come with a free antivirus and firewall trial software CD. Marketing strategy? I would guess that makes use of GeCAD's RAV antivirus software. They bought the company last June and said at the time they were going to use its intellectual property. Now we know why...

You can order the Windows Security Update CD at

You can still slipstream the updates, but it's finally nice to get everything from Microsoft (through October 2003) all on one CD for many OS versions.

thx!!

Well, I received the CDs. First, as a correction to my prior comments earlier, I noticed that the "Free Antivirus and Firewall Software Trial CD" is eTrust EZ Armor LE from Computer Associates. The label says it is free for one year.

I tried it on 3 Windows Millennium Edition computers which were at different update levels: (1) never updated, (2) failed web site updates, and (3) current.

All 3 seemed to be extracting and processing files, and all 3 rebooted 3 times automatically. If you left the CD in after finished, it would come up and let you go through the process all over again. It cannot detect early in the process whether the system is already up-to-date. Kind of dumb, I'd say.

Apparently the CD does not include much if any of the Recommended Updates such as the IE Navigation Sound Update or the Root Certificates Update.

The CD program does not report which fixes were installed, possibly because it was designed with simplicity in mind for use by the general public. But I was surprised that it does not report any installation failures! That's sad because the MS VM security vulnerability (MS03-11) failed to install on the "never updated" computer and I never knew. In fact it took 2 tries at the web site before it actually installed. As for the "failed web site updates" computer, it also failed to install these updates but no warning messages ever displayed. Obviously that system has major issues and probably deserves a Windows reinstall.

Nor will those CD updates be viewable on the View Installation History option at the Microsoft web site (windowsupdate.microsoft.com).

Not only that, but the CD did not update the internet updates software. When I went online afterwards, I was prompted to accept and install the latest Windows Update software.

Other than those issues, it does what's important, gets the computer updated in a simple manner, reducing downloads from as much as 40+ megabytes to just a few.

Just curious, dbMark, but I wonder if the same is true for other operating systems like Win98 and Win2K. ME just had some odd quirks about it that handled installations differently.

Perhaps it is just as bad across all supported OS's, but I'd appreciate and feedback you might have, especially if you've run it on other OS's.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

dbMark,

I appreciate the review of the cd. Mine hasn't arrived yet and the catalog I burned is a hassle to use.

I've only had a problem with one update using Me (said it installed when it did not) and a registry hack fixed that.

I normally use Belarc Advisor to verify installed and failed updates...it'll be interesting to see what Belarc says about the ones you had trouble with. I'll do a Me over the top reinstall on one of my machines to muck up everything and see if I can duplicate your problems.

I've also had nearly identical problems with Win98se and I'll try a friends server that needs some attention.

Still, I agree the free cd should certainly be a help.

Skip

Update: I just took another Windows Millennium Edition PC, wiped the hard drive, partitioned and formatted it, then reinstalled WinMe. I popped in the Windows Update CD and hoped for the best, but it took forever somewhere between reboots 2 and 3. I finally turned it off. I got onto the website and finished the updates without any problems.

So how did the 4 computers fare? There were 2 successes and 2 failures. If I don't count the PC that was already flaky, then it's still only a 67% success rate. I think that's pretty bad.

The CD program needs a status display just like the website of exactly what succeeded or failed. M$ made this CD way too dumbed down, down to the point of being absolutely untrustworthy. How much worse can it get when you can't be sure it worked even though it says it did?

Another point: How many people even know to get the Security Update CD? No one has ever mentioned it to me, rather, it was me telling them about it. I haven't seen any ads for it, nor boxes of CDs set out at the checkout lane of computer stores. I'm getting the impression that this is Microsoft's subtle way to say, "But we really did try to help people update their computers. It's not our fault only a few people ordered it." Yep, support is there, but the question is, how much?

Got mine monday, used it on 2 new installs this week one 98se and Me worked like a charm for me. I installed the anti-virus program without a hitch, after install I updated it without a problem. I have not tried the firewall yet, nor have I tried anything on XP, but happy so far.

okcomp

When I belatedly learned about the CD and tried to order, was told it was no longer available. Great help!

I'd guess MS is trying not to give Windows 98/98se/Me too much support and now that XP sp2 is out and that is available on CD, the earlier multi-OS CD was allowed to fade away.

Of course, that only updates the computer up through Oct 2003 and there are a number of updates since then including huge DirectX 9.0c.

If you're in the USA, I could burn a copy that update/security CD and mail it to you. You can send me a message via the link on my FAQ here faq779-5538.

The Cd has worked flawlessly on 98, ME, 2k, XP updates for me

I just checked again and the Feb 2004 Windows Security Update CD is still unavailable. Well, Microsoft didn't really advertise this CD much anyway and never sent boxes out for distribution to local stores. That's tough on the owners of various Windows versions who don't have fast internet connections.

Yes, yes, I know, users ought to buy a newer operating system. And, yes, I like the online Windows update better since updates applied from there get recorded in the Installation History, but dial-up is so slow especially if you're reinstalling Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back