Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Search service causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natbgsy2013

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2013
GG
Hi everyone

I have three computers with a problem where when the user clicks on my computer all that is displayed is Favorite, Libraries and Computer on the left hand side and a green bar graaaaaadually creeping across the address bar then the blue donut start spinning up.

If I then click Control Panel nothing is displayed in the window I have to type the setting app I want in Run to start it up. If I stop the Windows Search service it instantly bursts back into action.

I have checked Network and sharing settings and ensured Network discovery is on but cant think why this is happening. Has anyone seen this before and if so know how to permanently fix this pleaes

thanks in advance

Did this problem happen all of a sudden or has it been happening for a while.

If it didn't just pop up overnight, I would say that this is caused purely because of the search service using so much CPU/Disk that other things are delayed. It's probably nothing deeper than that. What are the specs on the computers? The wimpier the processor/memory, the less they can handle the burden of the SEARCH service.

I normally disable that service just for that reason. Also, check this out.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back