Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Search not finding files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdurden68

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have a user running XP pro. He is using Windows search to look through his My Documents folder (on the network, not C: drive) to try to find all his Adobe Illustrator (*.ai) files. He knows he has about 3000 of them, but the search only shows up 465. He had a similar problem a few yrs ago and the issue was excessively long file names. I could not find that to be the case this time. You can't search for Adobe Illustrator files by searching by file type, as it lists specific illustrator files like templates but not just general .ai files. Anyone run into this and find out what the problem was?

Windows search? I don't use it - it can't be trusted for some reason and is much too slow.

Try Agent Ransack - the first search is a little on the slow side each time you start it up - subsequent searches are really fast! Very configurable too, well worth keeping it in your toolkit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back