Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows SBS 2008, 1GB Network, 5 Users - VERY SLOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r15gsy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2008
Hi

We have a network which was "professionally" installed by our accounts software provider.

A recent HP Proliant ML310 G5 server (Quad Core X3370 3.0Ghz, 8 GB of PC2-6400 800MHz), Netgear GS116 1GB switch and SBS 2008.

We have only 5 users and the usage is low. The main app being used is Pegasus Opera accounting which is a Fox Pro application and as far as I can tell this opens big database files across the network.

The problem is using the network is very slow, and quite often the software stops responding. If you run on the server direct it is very quick to respond.

I am convinced there is a problem with network speed, but the installer will not accept.

How I can test and prove that? How can I identify what might be the problem? Could it be 1) server under-powered? 2) SBS 2008 badly configured 3) Switch? 4) Cabling?

Any advice appreciated.

Do you have any way to check interface speed/duplex on the switch? Make sure nothing is autonegotiating to half duplex.

Trey is on the right track, but if the workstations are connecting at 1Gb, then it's automatically full duplex. There is no half duplex communication at 1Gb. But heading down that "rabbit hole", you need to check proper cabling standards were followed (AT&T 568b or 568a). I'm not a big fan of Netgear, but looking at the specs, that switch should be fine although it's unmanaged, so if there was a problem with it, it's going to be harder to tell.

Server specs sound fine, but you didn't go too far in saying what all you had installed on it, so assuming with the SBS install, you also have Exchange installed, along with an Antivirus, backup software, etc...and if Premium, you might have SQL. So memory would need to be looked at to make sure there is enough for file serving purposes. Also you don't mention disk flavor SATA or SAS and if in an array (RAID1, RAID5, etc..). SBS should have wizards built in so you can run performance monitoring on your hardware to determine if the server is causing your issues due to insufficient disk I/O, or low memory, or NIC errors, etc...

All that being said, I would start with the cabling and switch and go from there.

Shut down your DB application.
Run a file transfer from one client to the server. (Multi-GB-size file).
Try it in both directions.
What speed do you get on this transfer?

Could also check transfer from one machine to the others.

Offline the server to see how this affects performance.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back