Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows rundll Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

ff18wife

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
When I turn my computer on, I get a rundll fatal error message, my mouse doesn't work which makes for interesting navigating and my graphics are a total mess. I recently did a disk clean up which included file deletions (Problem???), scan disk and defrag. I have a feeling it's related but how do I fix it without doing a total recovery???

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

What windows you got? Can you get to Dos prompt?
If yes, you'd better start backing up your files!

Windows 98. Why does that reply sound so dooming??? I am able to get in, albeit a little off, and navigate with keys which is an adventure in itself. I have a funny feeling that I need to reinstall my rundll file. Is this possible?

After installing some software and restarting (Win Me) my screen was titch, with no mouse and the same rundll error message. MIcrosoft support told me to enter drivers=mmsystem.dll to the [boot] section of the system.ini file, however this didn't solve the screen/mouse problemos. so, from another computer running Me, I copied the system.ini file across and magic. Just had to adjust the display settings. The same copy (for Windows Me) will shortly be uploaded to (temporary page)

After installing some software and restarting (Win Me) my screen was titch, with no mouse and the same rundll error message. MIcrosoft support told me to enter drivers=mmsystem.dll to the [boot] section of the system.ini file, however this didn't solve the screen/mouse problemos. so, from another computer running Me, I copied the system.ini file across and magic. Just had to adjust the display settings. The same copy (for Windows Me) will shortly be uploaded to (temporary page)

i'm sorry, to finish, maybe you could try to copy the same file from another Windows 98 machine on to yours.

domi_996
Thanks so much for your reply. I happen to have a friend with almost the exact same computer. I will check with him to see if he can help me out.

domi_966, your my savior! I too had that same exact problem and it's extremly difficult to browse around a pc without the support of a mouse... After finding and reading this you have saved me a whole day and nights work of having to backup files and reformat my hd, I was stuck and didn't know what the heck to do and I was only seconds away from giving up, THANKS domi_966!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back