Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombodu

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
GB
I find this hard. I am unable to fix a restore point Can some one please give a step by step guide? Can I fix any date I want? They are usually grey when I try to fix a restore date

Not sure what you mean by "fix" a restore date.

Restore points (sometimes called System Checkpoints) are set automatically at different times by your Windows program, i.e., on a regular schedule and/or when you add a new program or download updates from Microsoft.

You can set your own Restore Point at any time, usually recommended when you install a new program or do something that could interfere with the functioning of your operating system. Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore. The restore point will be set for the date/time that you created it. You cannot select a different date/time for creation, although you can name it whatever will help you remember why it was created in the first place, i.e., "Before installing new print driver", etc.

Then you can restore your windows environment to any date/time for which a restore point has been created, usually if you installed something that was incompatible or made changes in your registry that weren't optimal.

Hope this information helps. You can read more about it on Start/Help and Support/System Restore.

Best,
BlueHorizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back