Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
So, normally something like this would be "red flagged" as promotion or whatever. I assure you, it's not.

I'd just like to point out a tool that I have been using for many years that has pulled my bacon out of the fire more than once. It's the Windows All in One Repair tool from Tweaking.com

This has fixed when viruses have disabled exe files, stuff has been broken in the windows store, registry entries have broken permissions, bad fonts, the list just goes on and on.

IMHO, every tech should have this tool in their arsenal.

Back to your regularly scheduled bugs. :)

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I've been in the PC repair game for a good while now and have never heard of or used this before. Kind of sounds like CClenaer on some beefy steroids. After reading over the page at tweaking I was a little curious on one thing. Does this have a bootable live CD-esque download? Have you used it only when you can access Windows in some form or is it usable as a bootable?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Oh, it does much more than CCleaner (which I've also used for a long time).

While CCleaner will clean temporary files, deleted orphaned registry entries, etc. this tool will do things like fix all your file associations, fix your registry permissions, reset your windows store, the list just goes on and on.

I have run it before with a "Root and boot" such as Hirens, then run it from a USB stick.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

... and speaking of Hirens... although the "official" hirens hasn't been built since 2012, it's now maintained by a group of fans... and should be in everyone's tech toolbox.

Boots up a Windows PE Environment off of a DVD or USB stick, and has SCADS of tools installed.

Just my $.02

--Greg

I'm more inclined to use the UBCD over Hiren's but I definitely have both in my tool bag. I know for a while people were complaining that it had a few hacked programs in it but I think for the most part they cleaned it up. Either way it is a valuable tool. The one I still get the most use of off both is the Offline Registry Tool. Hiren's and UBCD are great CDs/ISOs to have around.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back