Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Remote Assistance Missing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I want to experiment with remote assistance and I can't even find it!

The instructions on MS and elsewhere say to bring up the search charm and search for "Windows Remote Assistance" On both of my devices (surface pro and Dell xps15 both running 8.1 pro) I get no search results. The permission to allow remote assistance is there in the Control Panel, but on both machines, the app itself does not appear to be present. The instructions say to search under "Apps" but my only choices are "everywhere", "Settings" and "Files". I assume the instructions haven't been updated from version 8.0 and I'm searching everywhere.

Anyone seen this?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Search under 'Settings' for remote, and you should find "Invite someone to connect to your PC' as one of the options

Found it, although that starts the wizard instead of just bringing up the app. I did some more digging and found one and only one post where someone mentioned that you need to search for "msra.exe" to get the actual app. (I suppose it's not surprising that Bing can see further into answers.microsoft.com than Google can.)

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Both "Invite someone to connect to your PC" and "msra.exe" do the same thing on my copy of Windows 8.1

On mine, the "invite someone" item that comes up does not allow me to right-click and pin it to the Start screen.

Also of interest, if I search "everywhere" the "invite someone" choice does not come up while it does under "settings".

Jeff

>Also of interest, if I search "everywhere" the "invite someone" choice does not come up

This is why I specified 'settings'. the W8 search engine is not as clever as Microsoft would have you think

Which is why I like pinning things once I manage to find them. ;-)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back