Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows random hang 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjelec

Programmer
Jan 5, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have just upgraded my pc to a Q6600 (core 2 quad) and nVidia 680i mobo.

I am now experiencing random Windows Explorer hangs, where the mouse can move around the screen but Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work, nor does the win key... I have to press the reset button...

It sometimes happens when the Anti-virus (AVG) is running and I try to open another app (FF for example), but not always...

Everything (apart from Windows Update, I've got SP2) is up to date...

CPU and Ram isn't over clocked, and my temps are OK.

I have searched the web, but could only find solutions where the person has a Creative Zen card, which I don't have.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

PC specs:

Processor: Q6600 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad
Mobo: BFG nForce 680i
Ram: 2GB 8500
GPU: BFG 8800GTX OC
Win: XP Pro SP2
Hdd: 2x 250GB Sata
Optical: DVD-WR Sata

If you suspect AVG is a problem you could uninstall it and then reinstall it to see if the problem is fixed. If not you could try another antivirus product such as Avast or Avira AntiVir and see if you still have a problem.

xp freeze troubleshooting
thread779-935320

PC Freezing - Hard to explain (see details)
thread779-1398265

Have you tried setting the Bios to Safe Defaults, is there any available updates for your Bios?

Thanks linney for your reply,

I'm going to find out what exactly is going on when windows starts to hang.

Its not always AVG, sometimes it can be within a game, or even opening up my email client.

I thought about re-installing windows because even though I removed the old drivers there could be ones still around.

Thanks again

I had this issue but with a different board that runs the AMD AM2 socket and DDR2 ram
with me it was hit and miss to find what was wrong.
found out the voltage to the ram was 1.7 volts and the ram needed over 2.0 volts to run stable.
My system is stable as a rock with 2.2 volts.

The ram you have? did it state the voltage it runs at?
You can buy DDR2 ram at many different voltage requirements from 1.5 to 3.5 volts

even a reinstall may not work if it is the ram

To determine if it is Windows Software or machine hardware, you could see how something like BartPE runs on the machine.

BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD).

I use AVG as well under XP SP2. I have a Quad Core, with 2GB of DDR2 sticks on an Asus P5B and an 8800 GTS video card.
Nothing overclocked, all stock settings and everything works fine. I have no unusual system hangs (just the usual ones ;-)).

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

Thanks all.

Just had a look at the ram specs and found that they need 2-2.3v and my board's settings are at 1.9v. So it is looking like that is the problem.

I'll change it but as it doesn't always hang, so I won't know for a while if it worked.

Confused why the auto setting on my mobo didn't work?

Thanks again

the defaults are 1.5 to 2.0 for a lot of boards. and I have not seen a board that sets the ram to beyond the default. its a manual set only type of deal.

It is an over clocking board, and its default ram voltage is 1.8 (2.5 max). I set it to auto which is where the board sets the best running voltage, but for some reason it set it to 1.9 which is too low...

I still haven't confirmed that its the ram voltage yet, as I would need to run the pc for a while...

Thanks

I set the voltage to 2v, and booted up this morning to a windows hang. I have now set it to 2.1v and had no hang after leaving it off all day and switching it on just now.

Still needs time to tell...

Thanks

I have now run my pc for a while after changing my ram voltages and haven't experienced any kind of hang. I have also noticed a speed increase during this time, so thanks firewolfrl.

I am glad it is working
I wish there was more info about ram and voltage settings when the ram is purchased. I found has some of the best info as the site posts the ram voltage requirements and the public comments help.

I found when it comes to ram voltage each manufacture has a different voltage requirement. there is almost no standard for voltage and it is a hit and miss issue to find what works.
I talked to the manufacturer of my ram and they state each board is unique in its requirements. you can have 2 identical boards with 2 identical ram of the same type and manufacturer and still end up with 2 different voltage settings to find the sweet spot voltage setting for stability on each board.

I do like the added bonus of speed....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back