Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows "kind of" hangs when opening something new

Status
Not open for further replies.

chambemd

MIS
May 20, 2002
US
Really odd problem I can't figure out...

If I'm using one application (like Explorer and browsing the web) and then try to open something new (a word document, Control Panel, File Manager, although probably more so with the system programs) about 50% of the time, nothing happens. If I don't do anything, it can take 30 seconds or a minute until the new app/doc opens. The system isn't really active at this point...it's just like there's a big delay, and then it comes up. The taskbar freezes up, although I can still alt-tab between windows and use any open application. Sometimes alt-tabbing seems to cause the "delayed" application/window to open right away...otherwise, it might takes forever.

I've had the computer for a while, but this has only started in the last month or two. I've run ad-aware and a virus scan, have all of the windows updates, and should have enough ram (256) and hard drive space (a gig or two free). Since then I've installed a few random apps and Norton Internet Security which I thought might be the culprit at first, but without uninstalling it, I don't believe it is.

Any advice??

Have you run disk defragmenter lately? What all is listed when you do a ctrl + alt + del? If you 'end task' on all but Explorer, System Tray, Wmexe if there, and Rnaapp does it still happen?

I would re-start the computer in SAFE MODE (Press F8 a million times after turning computer on, choose SAFE MODE) then run a thorough scandisk (tell it to automatically repair errors), and then run defrag.

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

¡Buena Suerte!

I tend to agree with the defrag idea but I have another thought that may help. One of our computers had the date set to June 2099 and Norton Antivirus installed. Then for some reason the system slowed down to the point where everything took forever. I'm not sure what fixed it but after removing Norton and setting the date to something more reasonable the situation was resolved.

I then put Norton back and to date all is well.

Andy Holden

Thanks for the suggestions...I haven't run the scandisk/defrag yet, although they run pretty regularly in normal mode so I don't think that's the problem. Took a look in my Task Manager...

Explorer
Atrack
Navapw32
Cfd - looks like the client software for AT&T Broadband
Iamapp - looks like a Norton Internet Security thing
Systray

Don't know what the Atrack is, although I just closed it and I just waited 30 seconds for my File Explorer to open. Odd. I'm tempted to think it might be Norton like I said, but I don't really want to uninstall it yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back