Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows protection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesehead

Vendor
Aug 12, 2001
US
I am working on an older compaq presario and get a windows protection error every time i try to reload. I have tried the original restore disk ask well as a regular 98 and 98 2nd edition disks as a backup and still have the same problem. The message is no more specific than just windows protection error you need to reboot. I have tried everything that I know without making any hardware changes. Any hints or tips?

I actually did a reformat and am now trying to load windows again. I have exhausted all possibilities on the microsoft website. I hate these integrated boards.

Will it boot to safe mode? Sounds like a device driver problem or an IRQ problem...

Yes it will boot to safe mode, that is one of the things that has me so puzzled. I have done everything that microsoft recommends once is is in safe mode and still no luck.

Try going into your bios and reset it to fail safe and not perfomance mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back