Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Policy Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
CA
Here's my problem....

I have a setting in a default domain policy to disable windows firewall.

I want to re-enable this for some users, so I created an OU under the domain, and setup and enforced a policy to Enable windows firewall.

It is not working.

Is this due to Windows Default Domain Policy being higher? Does it override policies that are lower than it?

Thanks

Detroit

My understanding is that lower policies that are enforced will override higher policies. But the best way to find out is to run the Group Policy results wizard in the Group Policy Management tool.

Here's a short overview of Group Policy:

If you're running Server 2003 or Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, you should use the Group Policy Administration tool:

It's got a reporting feature that will show you all the policies that apply to a User when they work at a Computer. It will show you which settings applied from which policies and why. It will even show you which policies override which other policies and why. It's really great for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back