Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixit4u

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2002
US
We are currently using GroupWise 6 on XP machines. We use Document Management to store all scanned images. Groupwise 5 used to have an image viewer installed where GroupWise 6 does not. When opening scanned images, the XP Windows Picture and Fax viewer will open and we can see everything fine however, there are many scanned documents that will begin to open and the XP viewer will say that there is no preview available. If I go to another machine still running the old NT software, the images come up fine. I have tried to search for the XP viewer files so I can see the settings and cannot seem to locate them. Anyone know why only some images come up but not others? I have D/L other viewers (freeware) of the net but those do not work as great. I need to make this XP viewer work. Any suggestions?

Maybe I'm missing your point. When I wanted to use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to view another file type, I right clicked the file, selected "open with/choose program" checked the "always use---" box, and left clicked Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. You may need to browse to find it.

What is the file format/Extension of the images? The solution is out there. [morning]

When you see a file listed in Explorer, the three letters following the period following the file name are the file type. For example in the file "tree.jpg", jpg is the file type. JPG, BMP, TIF, GIF are some of the common graphic file types. They indicate to the computer how the file is encoded so that it can be decoded properly to be displayed.

329270 - You Cannot View TIFF Images Using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

The following is from Lockergnome tips.

10th December 2001

"Kodak did a wonderful job on their Imaging Application (which comes bundled with Windows 98 and Windows 2000). As I archived more and more black and white documents, I came to appreciate its power. Sadly, this utility does not exist in Windows XP. There's no KODAKIMG.EXE or KODAKPRV.EXE to be found! My heartfelt thanks goes out to Lockergnomaniac John Hunter, who found a solution for those of us who miss our dear old app. We agree that the new "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" sucks. If you have a Windows 2000 CD, copy the following files from the disc: OCKODAK.DLL, OIENG400.DLL, OIPRT400.DLL, OISLB400.DLL, OISSQ400.DLL, OITWA400.DLL, OIUI400.DLL, IMGCMN.DLL, IMGADMIN.OCX, IMGEDIT.OCX, IMGSCAN.OCX, and IMGTHUMB.OCX. Note that these files may still be compressed in the "**_" format.

You will need to use either the EXPAND.EXE utility or WinZip to uncompress them. If you have a Windows 98 CD, copy those same files PLUS the following: OIADM400.DLL, OICOM400.DLL, OIDIS400.DLL, OIFIL400.DLL, OIGFS400.DLL, IMGSHL.DLL, and IMGOCXD.HLP. In both cases, you should place all of them inside your System32 folder. Now, it's time to register the OCX files. Tap Winkey+R to launch the Run applet and then enter: "regsvr32 imgadmin.ocx" (sans quotes). Do the same for imgedit.ocx, imgscan.ocx, and imgthumb.ocx. Remember, to unregister an ActiveX control, you only need to trail regsvr32 with the "/u" switch. Besure you've copied over the aforementioned executables to your System32 folder. They should work now! NOTE: You may need to launch the Kodak program to see if there are any other files missing from this procedure."

Well I don't have that problem myself (luck I guess).
I can view tif and multi-tif files just fine with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
But fixit4u has not told us what file format they have, no replies since post.

The solution is out there. [morning]

I discovered that this is a problem with my WinXP Pro. I also found if I cleaned up my C:\Windows\temp folder that less images would open. However, I also found that if an attached document (I also have GroupWise 6) has a name such as windowsxp.bmp, the viewer will open windowsxp.bmp, but also create window~1.bmp and you will be able to view both (even though they are the same file). I've been searching Microsoft for an explanation (ie: this is by design) or a fix. No luck. Has anyone else found more information? Fixit4U? Thanks.

EIStream came up with Kodak Imaging for Windows XP. Does it work the same as copying the dll's and ocx's into the system32 folder or xp?

Ive tried it, it works! whos is this Lockergnomaniac John Hunter and how can i thank him! :)

The problem I have, we have lots of small vbe forms which use the kodak (wang / eastmead) ocx files.
In Win XP (Office XP) these are no longer trusted, as we need to pay Microsoft for their image ocx files :-(

In the methods mentioned above, is there any way to get Office to trust the imgthumb.ocx files?

Thanks

These may or may not be relevant, what error are you getting from Office?.

Kodak Imaging for Windows Is Not Included with Windows XP

Turn on or off Trust access to Visual Basic Project.

On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Security.
On the Trusted Sources tab, select or clear the Trust access to Visual Basic Project check box.
Note By allowing this access, macros (macro: An action or a set of actions you can use to automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for Applications programming language.) in any documents that you open can access the core Visual Basic (Visual Basic: A high-level, visual-programming version of Basic. Visual Basic was developed by Microsoft for building Windows-based applications.) objects, methods, and properties. This represents a possible security hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back