Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Performance - Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tas1

MIS
Aug 1, 2003
GB
We currently run Mims 4.3.1.2 on a UNIX platform and are starting to consider upgrading our hardware, particularly in the light of support for HP-UX 11 being withdrawn and that Mincom won't support HP-UX 11i. We are looking at the possibility of switching to a windows platform and wandered if anyone had any comments, positive or not, relating to overall system performance. We have a large number of modules and a user base in excess of 1000.

As a side, we may also be looking at moving to Ellipse soon and will this change the perspective of the above?

Please help

Tas1,

I haven't heard that Mincom are dropping support for HP-UX. We are currently planning on upgrading to the HP-UX platform so if this is true it is disturbing.

Can you tell us where you heard that Mincom are dropping support and why?

Regarding Windows 2000 performance, i have seen only a handful of sites that run Windows but in all cases performance has been more than sufficent. Remember MIMS is pretty much legacy technology and todays hardware infastructure totally out peforms most requirements. Make sure you have 2 CPUs and enough memory (eg 4Gb) with a seperate application and database server.

Cheers

Thanks for the info.

My concerns with performance are that we have had problems with our existing setup - HP-UX 11, Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0, 8*processors and 8GB of physical memory.

I would therefore expect any Windows setup to have to be really high spec to give us any improvement.

The situation regarding HP-UX is as follows:

MIMS 4.3.1.2 is not supported on HP-UX 11i.
Ellipse 5.2.3.5 is supported on HP-UX 11i.

We have MIMS 4.3.1.2 hence our problem.

Regards

4312 won't be supported across the board soon, you have to upgrade before the MIMS Julian Date problem in 2007.
I believe HP-UX 11i is strategic for Mincom.

Can i ask what CPU speed those 8 cpus were? - if we're talking a few years ago they may have only been 250s etc. These days 1GHz RISC is pretty normal, 8GB of memory should be sufficent unless your site has a huge user count.

Does anybody else out there have any reasons not to use Windows?

Mincom does not support HP-UX 11i for MIMS OE 4.3.x, however it does support this operating system for Mincom Ellipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back