Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NTFS QuickFormat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmgregory

Programmer
Mar 23, 2006
US
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but here's my problem:

I was reinstalling Windows XP via my bootable CD. When prompted to choose a disk to install windows, I picked my C drive, which I'd identified by the free space (3gb). Windows setup informed me that I would need to format this drive, so I double-checked and pressed 'F' to format it. I chose NTFS (Quick Format).
When the screen changed to the status bar during format it showed my 300gb drive and was formating it. Unable to abort mid-format I pulled the power as soon as possible and unpluged the other drives (all except the C drive to install windows). I got windows installed and shut down - pluged my other drives in and now all are usable but my 300gb which is 'unformatted' to windows, obviously.

Is there any software that will be able to retrieve my data from the partially-formatted 300gb drive? There was only about 10gb of data but I do need that data. Any software recommendation/general help is greatly apreciated.

Jordan

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS DataRecoveryWizard to recover files.

Download demo version:
You can use "FormatRecovery" to scan your formatted partition. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in DataRecoveryWizard, you can select them and recover them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back