Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT workstation on 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintblack

Technical User
Nov 1, 2006
US
I have an issue I am trying to resolve. We have ONE client still running Windows NT 4.0 on our network. We are trying to phase out an old NT server that used to be our print server. The NT workstation was able to print from the 2003 server for a few weeks. Then the NT workstation started to act up and kept asking for a print driver when attempting to print off of the 2003 server. All of the other clients (consisting of XP and 2000 Pro) are able to print from the 2003 print server fine. I have managed to pull the NT driver off of the NT server and try it on the 2003 server, but that doesn't work. The workstation keeps asking for an NT driver. Any suggestions?

My colleagues have had no end of trouble trying to support NT4 Workstations printing via Server 2003. From the frustrated conversations I have overheard the symptoms sound familiar: it works for a while then starts screeching for a driver.

I will see if I can get one of them to sign up and post some ideas for you. But in the meantime...

Does the user have admin rights on the workstation?
If not, can you give them the Install Print Driver privilege on the workstarion? (sorry, can't remember how to do that).

Failing that, could you cheat and just install local print queues on the workstation and point them at the printer(s) over the network? As it's only one workstation I would hope they don't need to use too many printers.

The user had admin rights to the PC. I have tried installing local print queues, but that has failed as well because it doesn't like the driver. My boss and I are hoping that the stupid computer just DIES. He doesn't need the extra computer anyway. We are also trying to get rid of the NT server, but this one user is still attached to it for printing. Also, a few other users say that the print driver prints in better quality than the driver on the 2003 Server. It's like having an old, senile man with you who won't go away. You want to kill him, but if you do, you'll probably just piss off the few people who really care about him. I'm SO tempted to sneak into the user's room and sticking a pencil into the HD (because the darn thing won't die), but users tend to frown on that stuff. :)

This may be a redundant question, but have looked into the possibility of printing from that NT4 system directly to the printer (if it is a networked printer)? Or using LPD service on the W3K box for printing, if the printer is directly connected to the W3K box?
This scenario does not give you as administrator much control of this user's printjobs, but lets you off the hook as far as old printserver goes...

Good luck.

Yeah. I tried to add the printer manually via the port settings. However, that failed as well. The printers are located all over 2 separate buildings. Each building has its own subnet. The NT workstation cannot print to any of the printers in either building unless it is connected to the NT server. What I don't understand is why the 2003 server suddenly cut this workstation out of the printing permissions when it was working fine for a couple of weeks. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere in the 2003 Server that somehow locks out workstations that are not 2000 or above and demands a driver. It sounds stupid, but I'm starting to wonder. I have an MCSA in Windows 2000, but I am a little unfamiliar with the security features on 2003. From what I heard, 2003 servers are totally locked down when you first set them up. The print server was reloaded prior to us making it into a server. So it is basically a fresh install. We made it into a DNS and print server. There was one change made more recently that may have contributed to the problem:
The DNS was not replicating to the other DC for awhile. They both had their own IP lists. However, that was fixed and the IP lists are now replicating like they should. Would changing the DNS settings cause the print server to deny access to NT workstations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back