Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT security and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kburrill

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
We're running a visual foxpro exe on our client computers (mostly windows 95 & 98 computers). Some of these computers access a foxpro database stored on a windows 98 computer, while others access a copy of the database on a windows nt 4.0 server (SP 6).

From the windows 98 computer (server), each person sees about the same speed in opening the database & tables.

From the windows nt server, only the first person opening the program has the program start quickly (as quickly as from the windows 98 computer). For each person after the first person, the program takes 5-10 times longer to start. The windows nt computer is faster and has more memory than the windows 98 server.

We've been testing an older windows nt computer. If we make the share with the database "read" only, the 2nd instance opens just as quick as the first. When we change the share to "change" or "full control", the 2nd instance opens much slower. Unfortunately, we can't have the share be read only.

I don't understand how windows nt handles file sharing and security, at least not in terms of opening multiple copies of a file.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I asked a similar question in the Visual Foxpro forum, but I think the problem I'm having is due to windows nt.

Thanks in advance.

Find out everything you can about Opportunistic Locking. Try going to Also the MS site or use Google.com and search for Opportunistic Locking. Older DOS databases need special attention to work on NT. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back