Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT Machine Reboots for no known reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskhs

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a machine on our office network running windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP6 also running Novel Client 4.6 sp2. The problem I'm am having is this machine has all of a sudden (been working fine previously) started to reboot it self automaticly, I originally thought it was sometine in our lotus notes program that was doing it but it does it without Notes running also. There seems to be no common denominator does it while working in Office programs, using windows explorer, or sometimes just logging in. Any help or I deas would be appreciated, I have not reloaded NT yet but im leaning towards that.

On thing to keep in mind is if the cpu (or other components) overheat it can cause the computer to reboot or shutdown. Usaully though overheating will cause a shutdown until it cools off, maybe take a look and make sure all the fans are running correctly and all heatsinks a still attached.

Does it report any errors in Event Viewer? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks, why is it always the simplest things you forget to check....I need to bounce my head off the desk now, thanks for the dope slap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back