Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT Group question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgsrg

MIS
Oct 24, 2000
CA
We have a Windows NT4 server running. We have several domains around the world which are trusted, and which we can each see at each location.

We set up a Global group in our HHL Domain called 'testing' for some of our users to gain access to various parts of this server. Now several other users at the other domains in the other countries need to gain the same access to this server as in the group above (HHL\testing).

Problem is in the global group, I can't add users from our other domains. If I create a Local Group in our domain, I can add these other users from the other domains, but I can't add this local group to the global group.

Basically these users in our other trusted domains need the same rights as the users in the above group.

How can I do this, or can this even be done? I assume it can as I am sure that we are not the only company in the world with more than one domain, where different users from different domains need to same access to a particular server.

You seem a bit confused about the differences between local and global groups. Basically, local groups are built to grant permissions to local resources on the local machine. Global groups on the other hand are just there to organize user accounts. The basic method is this:

1. Organize the users from each domain into Global Groups based on the access you want to give them.
2. Create a local group on the server which houses the resource you want to give these users access to. Grant the local group the permission levels you want.
3. Make the Global Groups from #1 mambers of the local group in #2 - the users will inherit the permissions you assigned to the local group.

Microsoft summed it up like this: AGLP

Accounts go into
Global Groups, which go into
Local Groups which are assigned
Permissions.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back