Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2001
US
I have been having problems for a good two months on my system and I just need some information so that I can avoid having this problem again. I understand that the reason my computer keeps crashing is due to a hardware conflict within my system but I was wondering, is there typically known hardware that usually causes the bsod. I was running Windows NT Server and I have literally reinstalled the system about 50 times not getting anywhere. I gave it to this computer technician that I know to try and take a stab at it. He has had my machine for over two weeks. I have tried changing memory chips, that didn't work, I have tried changing harddrives that didn't work. I have reinstalled Windows NT with just the basics that didn't work. THe technician has also tried the same thing with no luck. I have reflashed my bios and performed an upgrade that didn't fix the problem. The only thing that has worked has been for me to install another OS, so I installed Windows 98 and that worked fine, but I hate using Windows 98 especially when I was used to the Windows NT environment. Can anyone give me any background information that may be helpful so that once I do get my machine running stable I can avoid this nightmare again. Thanks all. peace

You need to check the HCL my friend, and make certain that ALL of your hardware is compliant, and that there are no know issues. Here's the address to the HCL on the MS site...

Look at it and compare everything and you'll soon be on your way.

Good Luck,
SteelDragon

What are the first 2 lines of the BSOD, and what are the last 10 or so drivers listed?

This information should at least give clues.

In my experience the top 3 driver offenders are:

1) Printers
2) SCSI controllers
3) NICs

I hope this helps

Try using the hardware that crashed NT on the 98 OS now,
if you dont get a BSOD with the hardware then its probably
driver issue with them and NT. If applicable, change the video
card that you have, (if its not built in) this can cause
a few crashes.....was there anything in the Event Viewer
that can give you a lead to what's happenin'????????????

Jay~
const_hole.gif

If its broken, just leave it and hope someone else fixs it!
~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back