Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT 4.0 Time Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Could someone please let me know how I can enable a Windows NT4 server to also be a time server so that I can set all of the workstation times at startup through the log on scripts.
Thanks

you could use
net time \\xxxxxxx /set /y
in the logon scripts to set the time. replace the x's with the name of the server or its ip address.

Thanks, but it comes up with 'not a time server'. Is there something that has to be done on the server ?

Ah - you've got me there - we have tons of various NT Servers around our network and I can set my time to any one of them using net time - it has never reported 'not a time server' and as far as i can tell they don't run something like TIMESERV.

I'll have a think and let you know.

This is what we have in our login script rather than using the server name..

net time /domain:<domain name> /set /y

Might be worth a try?

Hope this helps

David

Okay, here's a &quot;stupid&quot; answer that happens to work for us: don't use net time.

In our situation, all of our clients, as well as the domain controllers, have internet access. We run an internet-based client program to synchronize everybody to the atomic clocks in Bethesda, Boulder, or Microsoft-Redmond.

I'm not certain, but I think the network synchronization using net time is only accurate to within 45 ms, and &quot;AtomTime&quot; ( for example, keeps us all well within that window. The gotcha here is that while your network (LAN) will be tightly synced (assuming they are all using the same internet gateway and IP route to the time host), don't go thinking you are in lock-step with the US Navel Observatory: internet latency can count for as much as 500 to 1000 ms!

Net time is supposed to be strait-forward. For the most part, it is. For us, considering we have some &quot;wild&quot; clocks in our LAN's PCs, having a client program that updated straight from the horse's mouth on a frequent (hourly in our case) basis was the right call.

Just a thought, not necessarily a good one.

Regards,
oldschool

Hi there,

I would use timeserv.exe which is a free util.
Don't use w32time it has problems.
Main server use timeserv.ini with the following:
Type=primary
Timesource=yes
Primarysource=(your servername used for time reference)

You can use this on all servers with these settings as long as the primarysource is correct. Just check the time on the primary now and again that way you don't have to use the web for correct time.
Timeserv is a service so easy to check if running.

login script add:
Use net time \\(primarysource servername) /set /yes

The AtomTime is a great piece... too bad it does not work with MS's NTLM proxy protocol. -- Devil Dog --

I´ve Win nt 4 sp 6 with Arc server 6.6, i would like shutdown the progress database with bat file and then run the job in arc server. This bat is setting in options/ arcserver.
Problem: the bat can´t shutdown the db, however when i run the bat without arcserver the bat function normaly.

I have a Terminal Server (NT4 SP6) that all of a sudden has been loosing .5 of an hour. Even after I set it maually it starts to loose again. Is it a re-install the Service pack issue or is it more serious such as the power supply?

Thanks

I use atomtime on my NT 4 server and set the schedule within atomtime to regularly sychronize. I simply use net time \\xxxxxxx /set /y in my script.

Where are you running your script from? It should be in winnnt\system32\repl\scripts\import and export. This way it shows up in netlogon

Why would this happen all of a sudden though? My other Citrix Box is fine. There must be something more nasty going on no? I try not to rely on third-party utils to fix what should be fixable otherwise. Any other ideas? Service Pack?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back