Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT 4.0 multiprocessor support

Status
Not open for further replies.

macgus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2001
US
1. Does anybody know how efficient is the Windows NT 4.0 with multiple processors?
2. Works 100% fine?
3. Is there any comparision document between NT 4.0 and Windows 2000?
4. Is any equation for calculating the actual CPU speed in a symetric multiprocessor enviroment? I mean If I have 4 CPUs 200 MHz each and symetric, my resulting speed is 800 MHz? (summed)?

I'd really appreciate your answers.

Thanx

1. How do you mean "Efficient"? In terms of power consumed?
2. Works as "fine" as with a single processor. If you're running Windows, then obviously it will never be 100%.
3. No. They're pretty much the same at SMP.
4. Again, no. It depends whether your applications are multi-processor aware. The second part of your question is very out - if you have 2 x 200 processors, then you have 2 x 200Mhz. This does NOT equal 400Mhz, and the overall speed will seem more like 250-300Mhz. With 4 processors, the overall speed will seem more like 300-400Mhz.

However, with Terminal Services (for example), 1 x 200Mhz processor will allow you 30 users, 2 x 200 Mhz processors will allow 55 users, and 4 x 200 Mhz processors will allow 80 users. That is, of course, if the only applications those users only ever run are Word, Excel and Outlook, and the server has 2Gb RAM.

These are simple questions with complex answers, I'm afraid. I've over-simplfied in order to illustrate how far you need to go to measure what you are asking.

I hope this is helpful - and I hope I've interpreted your questions correctly.

:) CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back