Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows NT 4.0 Hotfix Installation did not complete 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma256

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
US
I am trying to download and install Windows Hotfix Updates on a Windows NT 4.0 server and they are failing. Download is OK then when installing I get an error message saying Setup Error with red cross in dialog box with the text "The Operation completed successfully"!! When I have pressed OK in this box I get same dialog box with "Windows NT4.0 Hotfix Installation did not complete"

Any ideas will really help. Thanks

Try reapplying latest service pack first?

I am having a similar problem applying some Hot fixes. Did reapplying SP6a fix this problem?

I wish, now I am having problems reinstalling SP6A. It says it cannot minf dor modify SETUP.LOG. The fix says to create a setup.log and that also does not work. The customer is looking for a different machine so we can migrate it to Windows 2000.

You're missing setup.log from the Winnt\repair directory.

Make a file called setup.log in c:\winnt\repair (or where ever you put the winnt directory) and enter the following lines:

[Files.WinNt]
\winnt\System32\Hal.dll = "hal.dll","d023"

[Paths]
TargetDirectory = "\winnt"

I had the same issue with two machines, and this fixed it.
I got the info from: ;-)

Aksob : I did that it still does not work :) Oh well

Hi,

I was having the same problem. When I went to look at the winnt/repair directory, access was denied. So I opened up 'properties' for the directory and went to 'security' tab, and then took ownership of it and all its subdirectories. Once I did that, the windows updates worked. Hope this helps.

Probably if you logged in as admin, you'd also be able to do it.

The fix kinda worked. If you apply this fix on your server make sure to confirm that the hal id is the one you want. I think the instructions are for a single processor and we have a dual processor. I applied the hotfixes successfully without taking a closer look at that Hal ID and crashed our server. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks AkosB
We were having the same problems on Windows NT 4.0 SP6A workstations. I installed the security patch which came back with the errors. Added the missing directory and log and restarted the machine and the patch had successfully installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back