Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Not Recognizng CD-ROM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I built my computer a couple years ago, and I've never had this problem before today. For some reason, Windows doesn't recognize either CD-ROM. They show up in the device manager with the "!" on them saying "it's successfully loaded the device driver, but cannot locate the device." I've tried uninstalling them from the device manager, and they show up again, but with the "!." Any ideas? This just happened out of the blue. They show up in the BIOS just fine.

Disconnect them from the MOBO and reboot. Make sure they are gone then install one at a time to see what happens.

Have you tried a new ribbon cable just to rule that out? I had a similar problem a while back but the only thing I could do to solve my issue was a complete reinstall of XP. It needed it anyways so I wasn't too upset about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back