Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows not recognizing CD-RW: Registry Error 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

medford420

Technical User
May 9, 2001
US
I have Windows 2000 Professional, and a SONY CD-RW 140ex (I think that is the correct name) drive. I also installed EZ CD Creator 5 and some Iomega drivers. And shortly thereafter, Windows doesn't put up an icon in Explorer. I can't access the drive basically.

It tells me there is a Registry Error 19.
I uninstalled EZ CD Creator and the Iomega software/drivers.
I uninstalled the drive then reinstalled it. I even followed the troubleshooter to check permissions and it seems to be fine. I have heard about EZ CD 5 screwing up some low level files in windows...any info?
The BIOS recognizes the drive, Windows will even recognize that there is new hardware, but the drivers don't seem to be installing correctly. How can I get back my CD drive short of reinstalling Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Ran into the same problem with Win2k and a Hp burner. It corrupted my registry and I couldnt get it to work for nothing. Unless you have a backup of the registry or a up to date Emergency Repair Disk, the only way I got it to work was reinstall win2k. But, im sure there is another way. I just dont know it.

I tried to run the repair procedure from the WIN 2K CD, and it did not fix the problem. I basically reinstalled Windows and just before I installed EZ CD Creator 5(the cause of this problem) I created a Recovery Disk. Thanks for you helpful insights and suggestions.

medford420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back