Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows network shares on 192.168 machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudejohn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2003
US
I have two machines, let's say Source and Target, both WinXP or Win2K.

I want to create a network share on Target, such as C:\share, and call it "share". Then I set its IP address to 192.168.0.200.

I connect the two machines via crossover cable.

Then I want to go to Source, set its IP address to 192.168.0.100, and map a network drive to "share". I'm trying to do this via code, but first I need to get it done manually.

The problem: If I open a browser and type "192.168.0.200", I can see the network share. I can also ping the other machine. However, it intermittently seems to be asking me for a password to access the share, and if I try to map a network drive to it, I receive an error. The settings on the share say "everyone" has "full control," which is good.

What I really want to know: Am I missing a step? Is there something else I should be doing? Logically, am I SUPPOSED to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance,
~RJ

For reference, see:
thread222-1069201

RudeJohn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back