Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows MySQL - filled up ALL my C: drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

youradds

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm trying to copy over a 2GB MySQL .sql dump from a UNIX server, so I can process it manually on my PC. The problem I have though is that my C: drive isn't very big.

When I installed mySQL (from mysql.com) onto my PC it asked me where I wanted to install it, and I said D: drive (which had 300Gb free). It has installed it there, but when I try and import a large .sql file into a database I created, it fills up C: drive and I fatals out on me

1) How do I change where mySQL stores it "tmp" data? Kinda like in unix with /var/tmp for mysql)
2) How can I get rid of the 10+GB worth of mySQL temp files that now exist in C: drive?

TIA!

Andy

change the my.ini file inside the mysql installed folder. you can specify temp directory in there.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've already done that:

tmpdir=D:/temp

This seems to work, although it still uses up memory on C: drive whenever I do large queries (for example, I was running through 2.4 million rows to "clean" them up, and it ended up using 8Gb worth of disk space... which was cleaned up ok after... but still seemed to be using C: drive :/)

TIA

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back