Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows/Microsoft updates failed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

one4thumb

Technical User
Jun 13, 2006
US
I am attempting to run Windows/Microsoft update on a XP Home System. I can download the updates but after the down load is complete, the updates fail to install (all of them, Priority, Recommend, Drivers). I can install them manually. But that is a pain when we are talking about 55 updates. That hints to the problem being with IE.

This is what I have tried so far
1). Set the security and Advanced features in IE to defaults

2). Set the reg_word in the following key to 0 which allegedly uninstalles IE.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}.

Although after restarting Windows it is said that IE was uninstalled, when attempting to reinstall IE it is reported that a newer version of IE is already installed

3). I had installed XP SP 2 earlier, (SP 1 was not even installed when I started working on it) I uninstalled and reinstalled SP 2.

4). Succesfully completed everything in the following Microsoft article

I had also remove about 250 different spy and virus items from the system, which is why I was working on it in the first place. I have not run HI-Jack this on it yet. However I will and will analyze the log to the best of my abaility and will also post it if requested to do so.

I sm wondering if a Windows repair will take care of the problem. I do not want to take that route but will if I have to.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thank you

Forgot that I also created a new user account and got same results attempt to run windows update.

See if you problem is with the actual Installer rather than Windows Updates, you may have to manually grab the update from Windows Updates. Even reregestering the installer may help, that are details in the latter threads.

Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) is available

Problem with Automatic Updates
thread779-1166662

windows installer 3.1 downloads, won't install
thread779-1170977

try using auto patcher xp june edition. this should help with critical updates

What s Auto Patcher XP. I have not heard of this.

Autopatcher is a combination of all HOTFIXES up to JUNE 2006, that some one compiled for easier installing as it is a one click and one reboot, instead of 55 clicks and many reboots...

JFYI...

PS: Google for it if you wish... or go here:
PSS: June edition should come out in a few...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

The Autopatcher is a great idea. I am downloading it now. However it is currently at 46% and still has 1 hour 47 mintues remaining. I wish I could just download an EXE or ISO file right from the Internet Instead of having to download a .exe.torrent file.

Does Microsoft provide away to make your own update CD?

I have also got a little bit more information on my problem.

I can download and install Office Updates Except that even thought I choose the option that does not require a CD the updates still ask for a CD.

When scanning for updates their were three hardware drivers found. Altough Microsoft Update could not install these updates, I could go into Device manager and update drier, select looking on the internet and download and install them that way.

1.) The link you choose (AutoUpdate) was the one for the TORRENT, right below them, are others that are the DIRECT EXE, like the very last one, hosted on MegaShare...

2.) Update CD? I am not sure, possible... maybe someone else has more info on this...

3.) Office Updates at times need to check the CD to be able to update, in case something goes wrong, it can grab the resident version on the CD...

4.) Driver updates should be only handled directly from the manufacturers, as this is the safest and best place to get them... ie. nVidia ChipSets, VIA Chipsets, etc... you can also always do a periodic check to see if some of the drivers are updated and then update at that time...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

From time to time Microsoft releases Security Rollout patches covering many previous updates, but only as a downloadable file not as a CD (except for once that I remember back in February 2004). They obviously still produce from time to time ServicePacks as a CD release if you don't or can't download the ServicePack.

Every update since the last ServicePack 2 for XP is still available via the Windows Update site and using the Administrator's Option (Windows Catalog).

You can slipstream ServicePacks and other Updates with a XP CD to produce your own updated CD of XP.

Slipstream Service Packs
thread779-900263

How to slipstream hotfixes that replace pre-existing driver files

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files

How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folder

This may be applied to XP too.

As Win98 (Finally) Fades Into The Sunset...

I am a Computer Repair Technician and Network Engineer. I work for a company that provides services to home users as well as business users. These services can be formatting hard drive and reinstalling Windows, cleaning virus’, spy ware or ad-ware, network, hard ware and software trouble shooting. Installing updates is something that I try to do on every system.

I do not want to have to Re-slipstream updates in the installation disk every time new updates come out. Besides that does not help with the systems that already have Windows and SP2 install on them. I would like to have a CD that has an auto run that installs all the up dates. Although the Auto Patcher is a great Idea, I would prefer not to use it because it goes above and beyond what I want. I will use this method until something closer to what I prefer comes along

I have noticed home users get up tight when programs are installed on their computers that they don’t know what they are. Even Virus’, Ad-ware and Spy ware removal programs. Installing the program (AutoPacter) then uninstalling the program seem to be extra steps.

I am not trying to nit pick, although it may seem that why. I would think that Microsoft would provide a method of creating update CD’s and easy to use places to download all the updates for Win2000 and Win XP all from on place each.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I am not trying to nit pick, although it may seem that why. I would think that Microsoft would provide a method of creating update CD’s and easy to use places to download all the updates for Win2000 and Win XP all from on place each."

Did you follow through on this link, it allows you to manually download any update for any operating system that is still supported by Microsoft, of course you still have to save the updates to CD's yourself?

As Win98 (Finally) Fades Into The Sunset...

linney

Actualy no I had not checked that link. I seen Windows 98 and skipped over it. I really never though about going to Windows update Catalog.

I will propably use the AutoPatcher until I find something btter suited for what I want.

BTW Never did find out what the problem with Windows update not working. We are going to formate the drive in Augest whe she goes on vaction.

Thanks for the help

Did you look at the WindowsUpdate.log or the specific KBnnnnnn.log situated in the Windows folder for any clues?

It may be a Permissions problem in the Registry for that particular user?

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

I was hoping that the registering of the Installer Service would have fixed it for you as it seems to be a problem in that area.

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK:
msiexec /regserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back