Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger SIP Communications Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcarroll872005

Technical User
Mar 9, 2010
US
I am having issues connecting my Windows Messenger to "SIP Communications Service" here at work. As a new hire I was given instructions on connecting Windows Messenger to allow communication between employees, and the instructions are as such:

Install the client.
After install, run the client.
Select "SIP Communications Service", click "OK"

Simple right? The problem I am having, however, is that "SIP Communications Service" is not an option that I can pick. The only two options that are present when I select "click here to sign in" are ".Net Messaging Service" and "Exchange Messaging Service." When you go into Tools > Options > Accounts there is also no SIP section to go into as indicated by the help manual within Windows Messenger, only .Net and Exchange options.

I am using Windows Messenger version 5.1 and Windows XP as the operating system.

Our Tech help here at work seems at a loss as to the problem, so I figure I would ask if anyone knows what the issue is? They think it has something to do with one of the "services" being turned off on my desktop, or something additional that needs to be downloaded to allow SIP as an option, but they don't know for sure. Any ideas?

I literally just finished reading that first link about the assigned ports. I can get to where it says to edit the registry, but how do I know what ports to assign?

One of those links mentions this "Anyone who wants to use this service will need to get their Windows account enabled for the SIP IM service". This might mean that your Network Administrator has to give your user Permissions allowing access and also set up any configuration.

I don't use that Service so I myself are not sure of the exact details.

The default port of the server is 5060 according to this article.

Description of the Windows Messenger client basic protocol port usage for instant messaging, file transfer, audio, and video

832017 - Port Requirements for the Microsoft Windows Server System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back