Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Messenger and Netmeeting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zandor435

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
I am looking for a software that I can use to do presentations on my laptop and display over the internet to clients at another physical location. I know WebEx will do this, but before I spend the money I have been trying to get Microsoft Netmeeting to work.

I have Netmeeting working on my local network b/t two computers, but I can't seem to get it to work over the internet.

My understanding of Netmeeting is that both parties need to be logged on to some type of server before a connection can be established b/t the parties. I read that Microsoft used to use ILS servers to establish this connection but now they use MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.

I have had no success in using either of the messenger services above to start a connection for Netmeeting. All of the Microsoft websites i have read say that all i simply need to do is download one of these messengers and then click on the "START NETMEETING" button. The problem is, none of the versions of MSN Mess. or Windows Mess. that I have downloaded and installed have had such a button.

I need:

1.) suggestion of different software to use.

or

2.) a website that might be able to solve my Netmeeting "start a connection" issue

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zach

No, Netmeeting does not require a gateway server, it can be used directly from one computer to another over any network including the internet. You will of course need to know IP addresses, open firewalls, etc to make it work though. Netmeeting is built into XP, just go to Start, Run, Conf, OK.

In regards to Netmeeting, I have read alot about ILS servers and using MSN or Windows Messenger in conjuction with Netmeeting. Is the sole purpose of these other tools to provide an IP address?

Also, I am on a peer to peer network where every computer has a different local IP (192.168.0.3). We all share the same IP to the rest of the net though. If someone were to "call" that IP, is it possible that a connection can be established? If only one pc on the peer to peer network has Netmeeting running, will it be the one to recieve the call, or will the call not go through?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Zach

If you are behind a router or firewall that is configured as network address translation, you will not be able to use the PC that has a private IP address. Both PC's will need a public IP address, unless you configure the firewall that the PC should be in the DMZ and allow traffic to pass through on both ends.

Thanks, for the help. I think I will look at some other solutions after a little more troubleshooting.

Zach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back