Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Video overlapping drop-down menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

URLJones

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
CA
Hi,

I have recently implemented a menu system on the left side of a webpage. When the mouse cursor is placed over certain links, a sub-menu is then displayed immediately to the right of the respective link (in other words, it's a vertical drop-down menubar as opposed to the typical top-of-the-page horizontal menubar). Additionaly, I have placed a windows media video in the main content area.

The problem is that when I do a mouse-over on one of the links in the menubar to get the sub-menu, the sub-menu displays underneath the windows media video clip. Also, I have noticed this only happens when the video has been completely loaded. In other words, while the video is loading, there is only a "placeholder" to show you that the video will be shown (ie, an empty windows media window). During this time, the sub-menu is displayed on-top of the "placeholder" window. But, once the video is loaded, the submenu is hidden by the actual video clip. Is this merely a z-index issue with regard to the sub-menu? At what z-index level is the video clip playing at? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

URL

It might be a z-index problem, but it could be down to hardware acceleration in your graphics driver.

You could try putting both the video and the menu in their own iframes, with the menu iframe having a higher z-index... but failing that, I'm not sure there's much you can do.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back