Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows Media Services Bandwidth Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemmi

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
I didn't see a Media Services specific forum so since it runs under IIS I am posting here.

I have II6 on W2K3 and have enabled window media services in a test environment. While this is easy, if you accept the defaults, it's also dangerous -- apparently.

As a test I published a video stream and sent to several users on my intranet (connections range from internal wired 100 mbps to cable/dsl broadbad via VPN -- some of which are VERY slow).

For most the test was fine but one user stated that he received a call from Bell Canada because he was consuming too much bandwidth. He told them he was testing something and would contact his internal I.T. department.

So I began investigating and I notice that Microsoft, in attempt to assure a pleasant user experience out of the box, has set all bandwidth limits to UNLIMITED. OK....so I think that was probably my problem.

So my question is, is there a rule of thumb for what values to enter here? I'd like to dial the badwidth limit for this test stream WAAAAAAAY down and then notch it up slowly to find the best setting for my environment but I don't want to just be throwing darts in the dark.

Any suggestions?

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back